Saturday, October 22, 2016

Where are all of the birds?

I watch birds and photograph them when I can. The trouble is, most of them don't pose well. They are flying from branch to branch. They rarely rest when you can see them.

I went to the window this morning with my camera at the ready. It must be switched on for the electronics to work. That takes seconds.

A woodpecker was on the side of the tree directly in front of my vision. It had a large grub in its beak. I raised my camera, switched on, and by that time the bird was gone.

I tried to see if other woodpeckers were in the area. Nothing was in sight. A squirrel was scampering up the tree.

Squirrels are in automatic mode, storing nuts this time of year. Even with a birdfeeder filled with food, the squirrel knows not to bank on that. The same might be true for birds.

While human supplied seed and tallow are appreciated, birds must stay the course to take care of themselves.

I have thought about doing a painting in which I reverse the size of birds and trees. That would be one way to see the birds better. It might be like dinosaur days. I will try it.





4 comments:

  1. Overslept today and don't have my glasses on - but through my fog....I think I have found my red boa! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A beautiful bird...
      I was fascinated the day I saw my first pileated woodpecker in the Smoky Mts.- but the brilliance of the Indigo Blue Bunting literally took my breath away, it was stunning! My back yard seems to be a favorite hunting ground for a large Barn Owl, and also a Hawk...they 'control' my Mourning Dove population. Unfortunately I sometimes notice on those mornings I find dove feathers, I have fewer songbirds at the feeders. Curious...

      Delete
    2. We have the pileated peckers living in the woods next to our home. My brother photographed an indigo bunting as that is his favorite bird. We have an owl, hawks, and blue heron too.

      Delete