Thursday, December 31, 2015

Secrets of Whetstone Creek – Indian head pennies

My Dad, now 90 years old, told to me when I was about six years old, that he and his brothers played along the Whetstone Creek. There was a spot where Sam’s Creek intersected the Whetstone, where there was a deep pool for swimming. The swimming hole was made by the presence of an old mill that was once there. With the mill and millstone gone, all that remained was this pit that was filled with the passing stream.

Dad said that he had hidden a jar of Indian-head pennies in the creek bank somewhere along the Whetstone Creek.

Mother said, “Now, don’t you go near the deep hole, and you had better stay away from the creek.” Of course, my brother, Tim, and I was attracted to places where we should not go. In fact, that is exactly where we wanted to be.

We often embarked on searches along the creek trying to locate the penny jar. So far as we know it might still be there.

Exploring the Whetstone, we discovered the best places to fish. We discovered a steep embankment that was below the Rivercliff Cemetery. My Mom is buried there with her parents, and many other relatives. It is as if she is looking over the creek to see if her boys show up down there.

Anyway, there is a bend that is filled with soapstone. At the bend, there is a hollow cave in the sandstone where one might see ice cycles as late as June if there had been a hard winter. Grandpa said that was a good place to get ice in the spring if you needed it for the icebox.

I used to go to the creek to contemplate as a boy. I laid down on an old log to hear the sound of the creek rippling on the rocks. When the sun shown on the log, I closed my eyes to feel the warmth and sometimes dozed into a nap. I dreamt about the Indians who once lived here as I felt their spirits and all of the spirits from the people buried in the plateau above me.

I felt a raindrop and it awakened me like a tear shed from heaven.


Don’t worry spirits, you are alive with me. Join the gentle flow of the Whetstone where life abounds forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment